chop offphrasal verb
chopped off; chopping off; chops off
Definition of chop off
: to remove (something) by cutting She'd had her ponytail chopped off. He took an axe and chopped the low branch off the tree.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game