choked back; choking back; chokes back
Definition of choke back
: to have difficulty not showing or expressing (tears, rage, anger, etc.) He was choking back tears as he talked about his late wife. She struggled to choke back her anger as she listened to their criticisms.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- “In Vino Veritas” and Other Latin Phrases to Live By
- 7 Shakespearean Insults to Make Life More Interesting
- Word Well Used: 'Resplendent'
- Machiavellianism and (A Whole Lot) More
Ask the Editors
- That Sounds Right/Write/Wright Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game