Definition of chocolate vine
: a woody perennial vine (Akebia quintata) of eastern Asia with palmate leaves of five leaflets, clusters of small, chocolate-scented, usually purplish flowers, and large sausage-shaped seed pods Step through the arches of trailing chocolate vine … to take in all this location has to offer. — Dennis Bartlow, Commercial-News (Danville, Illinois), 2 July 2010
— called also fiveleaf akebia
Note: The chocolate vine has escaped cultivation and become an invasive plant in parts of the eastern U.S.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game