Definition of chestnut-breasted finch
: a small Australian finch (Donacola castaneothorax) that is ashy brown above shading into rich chestnut on the back and wings with lighter chestnut breast and tail and white underparts and is often kept in aviaries though something of a pest in its native habitat, feeding on various seed crops
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game