Definition of chestnut-breasted finch
: a small Australian finch (Donacola castaneothorax) that is ashy brown above shading into rich chestnut on the back and wings with lighter chestnut breast and tail and white underparts and is often kept in aviaries though something of a pest in its native habitat, feeding on various seed crops
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game