chem·ur·gy | \ ˈke(ˌ)mərjē sometimes keˈm- or kə̇ˈm-\
Definition of chemurgy
: a branch of applied chemistry that deals with industrial utilization of organic raw materials especially from farm products (as in the use of soybean oil for paints and varnishes and of southern pine for paper pulp)
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game