Recent Examples of chemotherapy from the Web
Grace underwent her first rounds of chemotherapy at just two days old.
Vicki gave the most passionate two-minute-and-30-second video pumping this woman up for her chemotherapy.
The tumor is inoperable because surgery would cause blindness but is being treated with chemotherapy.
In a comparison group of 56 patients that got standard chemotherapy alone, only half were still alive at the two-year mark.
In order to be cured, Bruno will undergo chemotherapy sessions as preparation for a bone marrow transplant.
Still, one vaccine-only patient remained in remission for five years after the study; prior to the study, her cancer had recurred twice after chemotherapy.
Woldseth was by her side during doctor appointments, hospital visits and chemotherapy.
This is also something to bear in mind if there are immunocompromised people in your home, like someone who’s on chemotherapy or is elderly.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'chemotherapy.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Origin and Etymology of chemotherapy
First Known Use: 1910See Words from the same year
CHEMOTHERAPY Defined for English Language Learners
Definition of chemotherapy for English Language Learners
medical : the use of chemicals to treat or control a disease (such as cancer)
medical Definition of chemotherapy
- Pyrazinamide is one of the most important drugs in modern chemotherapy of tuberculosis …
- —Max Salfinger et al., The Journal of the American Medical Association, 22 Mar. 1995
- Cancer cells mutate at a furious rate, and they can evolve the means to resist most chemotherapy drugs, requiring higher and more toxic doses to achieve an effect.
- —Shannon Brownlee and Nancy Shute, U.S. News & World Report, 18 May 1998
- Neutropenia and infection are major dose-limiting side effects of chemotherapy.
- —Jeffrey Crawford et al., The New England Journal of Medicine, 18 July 1991
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up chemotherapy? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).