Definition of characteristic curve
: the graphic curve or the graph picturing it that shows the relation between two variables a characteristic curve plotting the variations of grid potential and plate current in the normal operation of a vacuum tube the patient's fever chart showed the characteristic curve for the disease :
a : the curve indicating the variation of density in a developed photographic image that results from the increase of exposure expressed logarithmically
— called also H and D curve, sensitometric curve
b : a curve showing the relationship between frequency and recording intensity or frequency and reproducing intensity in sound recording
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game