: something that happens unpredictably without discernible human intention or observable cause
- Which cards you are dealt is simply a matter of chance.
: the assumed impersonal purposeless determiner of unaccountable happenings : luck
- an outcome decided by chance
: the fortuitous or incalculable element in existence : contingency
- … you surely have endured strange chances …
- —Alfred Tennyson
: a fielding opportunity in baseball
: the possibility of a particular outcome in an uncertain situation
: the degree of likelihood of such an outcome
- What chance has he of pulling through?
- a small chance of success
: the more likely indications
- chances are he's already gone
: in the haphazard course of events