Definition of chalkbrood
: a disease of honeybees that is fatal to developing larvae and is caused by a fungus (Ascophaera apis)
Note: Larva affected with chalkbrood become covered by a white, woolly growth and then harden to a chalky white to grayish-black mass.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- Must 'Collide' Mean Two Moving Objects?
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?