Definition of chalk (something) up to
: to explain (something) by stating its cause : to say that (something) was caused by (something) Chalk it up to bad timing. Her early mistakes can be chalked up to inexperience.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- “In Vino Veritas” and Other Latin Phrases to Live By
- 7 Shakespearean Insults to Make Life More Interesting
- Word Well Used: 'Resplendent'
- Machiavellianism and (A Whole Lot) More
Ask the Editors
- That Sounds Right/Write/Wright Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game