variants: or less commonly central-fire \ ˈ⸗⸗ˌ⸗ \
Definition of center-fire
1 of a cartridge : fired by the striking of a hammer or firing pin upon a cap or primer at the center of the base —distinguished from rimfire
2 : designed for or adapted to the use of center-fire cartridges a center-fire rifle
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?