: to perform (a sacrament or solemn ceremony) publicly and with appropriate rites
- A priest celebrates Mass.
: to honor (an occasion, such as a holiday) especially by solemn ceremonies or by refraining from ordinary business
- The nation celebrates Memorial Day.
: to mark (something, such as an anniversary) by festivities or other deviation from routine
- celebrated their 25th anniversary
: to hold up or play up for public notice
- her poetry celebrates the glory of nature
: to observe a holiday, perform a religious ceremony, or take part in a festival
- The holiday revelers celebrated all day long.
: to observe a notable occasion with festivities
- decided the only way to celebrate was to have a party