Definition of category killer
- Their approach delivered search results that creamed the competition's, and it served them up in a simple, quick-loading, no-frills format. It was a stone-cold category killer.
- —Lev Grossman, Time, 22 Dec. 2003
- The big discounters are following another set of retailers that have been making their mark throughout the five boroughs: the so-called category killers, who sell basically one type of merchandise, be it books, apparel, linen or electronic goods.
- —Douglas Martin, New York Times, 11 Dec. 1994
- Founded by Charles Lazarus in 1957, Toys “R” Us was the original “category killer”—industry jargon for a chain of large stores that offered low prices on almost every product and brand in its category and killed competing local retailers.
- —Karl Taro Greenfeld, Time, 19 Oct. 1998