variants: or British cat's pyjamas
Definition of cat's pajamas
informal + old-fashioned
: a highly admired or exceptionally excellent person or thing He's the cat's pajamas, I couldn't love, respect, admire, and enjoy that individual more than I do.— Drew Barrymore, quoted in Harper's, 1 Oct. 2010
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game