Definition of cat's-paw
1 : a light air that ruffles the surface of the water in irregular patches during a calm
2 [ from the fable of the monkey that used a cat's paw to draw chestnuts from the fire ] : one used by another as a tool : dupe the … government became the cat's-paw for foreign powers— D. J. Boorstin
3 : a hitch knot formed with two eyes for attaching a line to a hook — see knot illustration
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game