cast/spread one's net wideidiom
Definition of cast/spread one's net wide
: to try many different things so that one will have the best chance of finding what one wants Companies are casting their nets wide in search of young, talented employees.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game