Definition of cardinal sin
: a very bad or serious sin in Christianity —often used figuratively or humorously Giving false information is a cardinal sin in news reporting.He committed the cardinal sin of criticizing his boss.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game