variant spelling of chamomile
2 : any of several composite plants (genera Matricaria and Anthemis) related to chamomile especially : an annual Eurasian herb (M. recutita synonym M. chamomilla) naturalized (see naturalize sense 4) in North America
3 : the dried flower heads of chamomile that are often used in making tea and that yield an essential oil possessing medicinal properties
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game