cal·o·rize | \ ˈkaləˌrīz\
Definition of calorize
: to treat by a process for coating metal (as iron or steel) with aluminum in which the metal is heated in a reducing atmosphere in a closed retort with a mixture containing finely divided aluminum that alloys with the metal to a depth dependent on the length of the treatment — compare sherardize
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game