Definition of callout
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : the act or an instance of calling out
2 : an often bordered inset in a printed article or illustration that usually includes a key excerpt or detail
called out; calling out; calls out
Definition of call out (Entry 2 of 2)
1 : to summon into action call out troops
2 : to challenge to a duel
3 : to order on strike call out the workers
4 : to publicly criticize or fault (someone) The FDA will have to start forcing companies to be transparent and call them out on it when they're not.— Massimo Calabresi et al.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game