Definition of callout
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : the act or an instance of calling out
2 : an often bordered inset in a printed article or illustration that usually includes a key excerpt or detail
called out; calling out; calls out
Definition of call out (Entry 2 of 2)
1 : to summon into action call out troops
2 : to challenge to a duel
3 : to order on strike call out the workers
4 : to publicly criticize or fault (someone) The FDA will have to start forcing companies to be transparent and call them out on it when they're not.— Massimo Calabresi et al.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game