cal·a·bur tree | \ ˈkaləˌbu̇(ə)r-, -(ˌ)bər-\
Definition of calabur tree
: a tropical American shrub or small tree (Muntingia calabura) of the family Elaeocarpaceae whose bark yields a silky fiber used in cordage and whose wood is valuable for staves
— called also capulin, Jamaica cherry, silkwood
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game