Definition of cadmium yellow
1 : a pigment consisting of cadmium sulfide and barium sulfate with or without zinc sulfide and varying in hue from lemon yellow to orange
— called also in its orange hues cadmium orange
2 : a strong orange that is yellower and paler than pumpkin, yellower, less strong, and slightly lighter than cadmium orange and yellower and paler than mandarin orange
— called also aurora yellow, daffodil yellow, nasturtium yellow, orient yellow, radiant yellow
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game