Definition of cabbage tree
1 : any of several palms having an edible terminal bud:
a : an Australian palm of the genus Livistona (especially L. australis)
b New Zealand : ti sense 1
c : cabbage palmetto
2 : any of certain trees resembling in some respect a cabbage palm: such as
a : cabbage bark
b : any of several African araliaceous trees (genus Cussonia) with soft spongy wood and sparse angular branches that terminate in tufted foliage or in a spikelike inflorescence
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Buck Naked' or 'Butt Naked'?
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game