variants: or cabbage-bark tree
Definition of cabbage bark
: an angelim (Andira inermis) widely distributed in tropical America and western Africa having a shaggy unpleasant-smelling toxic bark that has been used together with the seeds as a purgative, vermifuge, and narcotic and yielding a hard strong durable wood variable in color and susceptible of a fine polish
— called also cabbage tree
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?