Definition of by/in comparison
: when compared with another : when looked at or thought about in relation to someone or something else Yesterday's weather was very cold. Today's weather is mild by comparison. —often + with He's a well-behaved child in comparison with his brother.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game