by one's own bootstrapsidiom
Definition of by one's own bootstraps
: without help from other people : as a result of one's own hard work Despite many obstacles, she has pulled herself up by her own bootstraps.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game