bust outphrasal verb
busted out also bust out; busting out; busts out
Definition of bust out
1 : to begin (doing something) suddenly She just busted out laughing.
2 bust out (something) or bust (something) out : to take (something) from the place where it is stored so that it can be used : to break out He busted out the champagne.
3 : to escape from a prison, jail, etc. Two prisoners busted out of jail.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game