burst outphrasal verb
burst out also bursted out; bursting out; bursts out
Definition of burst out
1 : to begin (doing something) suddenly They both burst out laughing.
2 : to say (something) suddenly Everyone burst out "Surprise!" as he walked through the door.
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game