burst outphrasal verb
burst out also bursted out; bursting out; bursts out
Definition of burst out
1 : to begin (doing something) suddenly They both burst out laughing.
2 : to say (something) suddenly Everyone burst out "Surprise!" as he walked through the door.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?