bu·ceph·a·lus | \ byüˈsefələs \
plural bucephaluses\ -ləsə̇z \ or bucephali\ -ˌlī \
Definition of bucephalus
(Entry 1 of 2)
: a riding horse especially if spirited and mettlesome —often used ironically
\ " \
Definition of Bucephalus (Entry 2 of 2)
: a genus of small digenetic trematodes having the mouth near the center of the ventral surface and the intestine saclike and not bifurcated and comprising intestinal parasites of carnivorous fishes
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game