Definition of brown-headed cowbird
: a cowbird (Molothrus ater) widespread in the U.S. and southern Canada in which the male is black with a brown head and the female is gray The most famous brood parasites, the European cuckoo and the brown-headed cowbird, lay their eggs in nests of other species.— Charles R. Brown and Mary Bomberger Brown Sadly, the vireo is vulnerable to a nest parasite, the brown-headed cowbird, that flourishes near livestock and in urban fringe areas.— Karen D. Fishler
Keep scrolling for more
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game