bring/put a stop toidiom
Definition of bring/put a stop to
: to bring (something) to a state in which no further activity happens : to end (something) Negotiations brought a stop to the conflict. We need to put a stop to these practices. She wanted to put a stop to the rumors.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/15/19
- 'Cliché': We’ve Heard It All Before
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
Ask the Editors
- Pass the Little Ribbons: A Pasta Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game