bring/put a stop toidiom
Definition of bring/put a stop to
: to bring (something) to a state in which no further activity happens : to end (something) Negotiations brought a stop to the conflict. We need to put a stop to these practices. She wanted to put a stop to the rumors.
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game