bring/put a stop toidiom
Definition of bring/put a stop to
: to bring (something) to a state in which no further activity happens : to end (something) Negotiations brought a stop to the conflict. We need to put a stop to these practices. She wanted to put a stop to the rumors.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game