bring (someone) to his/her kneesidiom
Definition of bring (someone) to his/her knees
: to completely defeat or overwhelm (someone) The general vowed he would bring the enemy to their knees. —often used figurativelyThe increase in oil prices could bring the economy to its knees.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
- Words We're Watching: 'Nibling'
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game