bring (someone) to his/her kneesidiom
Definition of bring (someone) to his/her knees
: to completely defeat or overwhelm (someone) The general vowed he would bring the enemy to their knees. —often used figuratively The increase in oil prices could bring the economy to its knees.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game