Definition of brille
: a transparent, disc-shaped, immobile scale that covers the eye of most snakes and geckos Like snakes, geckos can't close their eyes, which are protected by a transparent scale, or brille (from the German for spectacles) that is regularly shed and replaced along with the skin.— Richard Milner, Natural History, November 2000
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?