Definition of brille
: a transparent, disc-shaped, immobile scale that covers the eye of most snakes and geckos Like snakes, geckos can't close their eyes, which are protected by a transparent scale, or brille (from the German for spectacles) that is regularly shed and replaced along with the skin.— Richard Milner, Natural History, November 2000
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game