Definition of break off
- break off in the middle of a sentence
- branches that broke off in the storm
- broke off with his business partner
- break off diplomatic relations
- broke off a chunk of bread
the judge broke off court proceedings until after lunch
talks between the two sides broke off when one began making unreasonable demands
What made you want to look up break off? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).
of yeast or being unsettled or frivolous
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Merriam-Webster's New Words Quiz—Fall 2017 Edition!
Test your visual vocabulary with our 10-question challenge!TAKE THE QUIZ
Test Your Knowledge - and learn some interesting things along the way.TAKE THE QUIZ