Definition of break off
- break off in the middle of a sentence
- branches that broke off in the storm
- broke off with his business partner
- break off diplomatic relations
- broke off a chunk of bread
the judge broke off court proceedings until after lunch
talks between the two sides broke off when one began making unreasonable demands
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'break off.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
bite the dust;
What made you want to look up break off? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).
Confusing Words—A Quiz