break down intoidiom
Definition of break down into
1 : to separate (something) into (simpler substances) Water can be broken down into hydrogen and oxygen through electrolysis.
2 : to become separated into simpler substances Water can break down into hydrogen and oxygen through electrolysis.
3 : to divide (something into (parts or groups) The report is broken down into three sections.
4 : to be able to be divided into parts or groups The report breaks down into three sections.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game