break away fromidiom
Definition of break away from
1 : to get away from (someone or something) especially by using force or effort He broke away from his captors and escaped. —often used figuratively young people breaking away from traditional values
2 : to separate from (a larger group, country, etc.) a faction that has broken away from the main political party
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?