variants: or Portuguese Brasil
Definition of Brazil
country extending from north of the Equator to south of the Tropic of Capricorn in eastern South America, the continent's largest and most populous nation; a federal republic; capital Brasília area about 3,280,000 square miles (8,495,200 square kilometers), population 190,732,694
Keep scrolling for more
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game