brachy·meiosis | \ ¦brakē +\
Definition of brachymeiosis
: a second reduction division following the usual two meiotic divisions reputed to occur in the ascus of certain fungi also : the entire meiotic process when involving double reduction that has been suggested as an explanation of the restoration of the haploid condition in fungi in which double fertilization has produced a tetraploid primary ascus nucleus
Keep scrolling for more
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game