Definition of boron trifluoride
: a colorless pungent gas BF3 that fumes in moist air, that is made usually by reaction of a boron compound (such as borax) with a fluoride (such as hydrogen fluoride) and then sulfuric acid, and that is used chiefly as an acidic catalyst in organic reactions (such as alkylations and polymerizations)
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game