variants: or boohoo or less commonly boo hoo
boo-hooed or boohooed; boo-hooing or boohooing
Definition of boo-hoo
: to weep loudly and with sobs … even the impeccable Lord Jeffrey, editor of the Edinburgh Review, confessed to having cried—blubbered, boohooed, snuffled, and sighed—over the death of Little Nell in The Old Curiosity Shop.— Tom Wolfe Joey kept boo-hooing like a real idiot.— Christopher Paul Curtis —often used as an interjection especially in mocking imitation of another's tears, complaints, unhappiness, etc. Before she finished her question, one twin and then the other began to cry. "Boohoo, boohoo," Ernie mocked. "I'm not staying with crybabies."— Nancy Smiler LevinsonHe said as long as I was being so pure, why not give her the real scoop on her old man? I said because it would crush her. Boo hoo, he said.— George Saunders
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game