Definition of boo-hoo
- … even the impeccable Lord Jeffrey, editor of the Edinburgh Review, confessed to having cried—blubbered, boohooed, snuffled, and sighed—over the death of Little Nell in The Old Curiosity Shop.
- —Tom Wolfe
- Joey kept boo-hooing like a real idiot.
- —Christopher Paul Curtis
- Before she finished her question, one twin and then the other began to cry. "Boohoo, boohoo," Ernie mocked. "I'm not staying with crybabies."
- —Nancy Smiler Levinson
- He said as long as I was being so pure, why not give her the real scoop on her old man? I said because it would crush her. Boo hoo, he said.
- —George Saunders
boo-hooor boohoo noun, plural boo-hoos or boohoos
- … the tough Garden crowd reacted with boos instead of boo-hoos.
- —Richard Johnson
boo-hooingor boohooing noun
- "Woman: cease this detestable boohooing instantly; or else seek the shelter of some other place of worship."
- —George Bernard Shaw
- No one feels good after being dumped. The loudest boo-hooing seems to be coming from young people …
- —Jane Bryant Quinn