bois de rosenoun
plural bois de roses\ -ōzə̇z \ or bois de rose\ like singular \
Definition of bois de rose
1a : an important tropical American yellow timber derived chiefly from a tree (Aniba panurensis) of French Guiana
b : any tree yielding bois de rose
2 : a grayish red that is yellower, lighter, and stronger than blush rose, yellower and deeper than apple-blossom, bluer and deeper than Pompeian red, and yellower and stronger than livid brown
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game