Definition of boil off
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : to degum (silk) by boiling
2 : to remove (gum, sizing, wax, dye) from fabric by boiling in a solution
Definition of boil-off (Entry 2 of 2)
1 : the process of removing impurities (such as size or gum) by boiling fabrics in a scouring solution
2 boiloff : the vaporization of a liquid (such as liquid oxygen)
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
- Words We're Watching: 'Nibling'
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game