boatienoun, chiefly Australia and New Zealand
Definition of boatie
: a recreational boater The pair were rescued by a boatie out fishing and towed about 8km to the Darwin Ski Club. — Courier Mail (Australia), 11 Jan. 2012 It is also likely that lives would have been lost as boaties tried to steer pleasure craft through the treacherous breach entrance.— Warren Judd, New Zealand Geographic, July/August 2003
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game