Definition of blue marlin
: a very large marlin (Makaira nigricans) of the Atlantic Ocean that is blue above and silvery white below, may reach a length of 14 feet (4.3 meters) and a weight of one ton (907 kilograms), and is often valued as a sport fish
Keep scrolling for more
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game