blow out of proportionidiom
Definition of blow out of proportion
: to cause (something) to become larger than it should be or to be treated as something worse or more important than it really is You are blowing things (all/way) out of proportion. The story was blown out of proportion in the newspapers.
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game