Definition of bleacher bum
: a sports fan and especially a baseball fan who frequently attends games and sits in the bleachers From the grandstands, they saw bleacher bums sprawling in the sun beyond the outfield, …— Brent Staples, New York Times Magazine, 17 May 1987 He was born near Wrigley Field. And, says Bob (Chicago) Girsch, “I was a left-field bleacher bum for 15 years. I hung out with all the crazies.”— Beth Ann Krier, Los Angeles Times, 14 Dec. 1989
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?