Definition of blathering
(Entry 1 of 2)
: foolish or nonsensical talk or writing … liked to conduct five meetings at once, moving back and forth between them, looking for the moment when the blathering was done and the dealing had begun.— Karen Breslau … the self-justifying blatherings of politicians …— Robertson Davies
Definition of blathering (Entry 2 of 2)
: engaging in or characterized by foolish or nonsensical talk or writing … the rantings and ravings of blathering scientists and religious literalists …— Michael Gregory … the decade's salient features: blathering ignorance, smug hypocrisy, institutionalized fraud and vengeful polarization—all too dangerous to be merely absurd.— H. Jack Geiger
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game