Definition of black thumb
: a notable inability to make plants grow : a tendency to fail as a gardener Ever since I was a child, I was known for a really bad black thumb—I could not grow anything, and even worse, plants seemed to die under my supervision, even the plastic kind.— Monica Bhide, Chicago Sun-Times, 13 Apr. 2011 In addition, I have a black thumb that can kill a petunia at 10 paces.— Rob Pudim, Salt Lake Tribune, 11 Sept. 2009 also : a person who has a black thumb Calling all black thumbs and those who are averse to flower arranging: Hardy succulents are the perfect solution for anyone who can't remember to water plants or who struggles to pull together a centerpiece. — Good Housekeeping, 1 Sept. 2010 Even black thumbs will have a hard time killing plants in this self-watering pot. — Wendy Manwarren, Redbook, 1 June 2009 — compare green thumb
Keep scrolling for more
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game