Definition of black thumb
- Ever since I was a child, I was known for a really bad black thumb—I could not grow anything, and even worse, plants seemed to die under my supervision, even the plastic kind.
- —Monica Bhide, Chicago Sun-Times, 13 Apr. 2011
- In addition, I have a black thumb that can kill a petunia at 10 paces.
- —Rob Pudim, Salt Lake Tribune, 11 Sept. 2009
- Calling all black thumbs and those who are averse to flower arranging: Hardy succulents are the perfect solution for anyone who can't remember to water plants or who struggles to pull together a centerpiece.
- —Good Housekeeping, 1 Sept. 2010
- Even black thumbs will have a hard time killing plants in this self-watering pot.
- —Wendy Manwarren, Redbook, 1 June 2009
- Even a black-thumbed buddy can tend voluptuous tuberous begonias, which are happy in a less-than-light-filled home, or cultivate highly textured scented geraniums …
- —Laura Kalehoff, Self, February 2008
- The terrarium is ideal for the black-thumbed gardener who kills anything green.
- —Mary-Liz Shaw, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, 28 Jan. 2007